Saturday, September 26, 2009

The Road Most Traveled

This is entering my road from the state highway. Yes, I can call it my road; half of the name of the road is my last name. This day was August 6, 2009; the county has not mowed the sides in a couple of months, so it is grown up making the road smaller. The road has no lines and is paved with gravel on top of hot tar. If you zoom in, you can see one of the two signs that are on this road. This one is a 35 mph speed limit with a neighborhood watch under it. The other sign is in front of my grandmother’s house. We had the county put there when our children were small. It is a watch for children playing sign. There are stop signs at both ends of the road and the street sign too. If you enter the road from the other end, there are no speed limit signs.

Here we are about a mile in and still a half mile from home. Off the left and down about 15 feet is a very small creek. The first time I bring someone to my house; this is where they look at me with a question on their face and say, you do live in the sticks.










On the left is an almost straight up hill and to the right is a flat area and then a nice sized creek that flows into a lake. The road takes a 90 degree right turn and over a small bridge where you see the light.













Look, there is my house at the top of the hill. The mailbox in front of that fence corner in the foreground is at my brother’s driveway.














This is right past my brother’s driveway and his house at the very backside of the field.











Here we are about the same spot just looking up toward my house.













To the left is my grandmother’s house, which now belongs to an uncle and is rented out. The house is in the clump of trees closest to us.










A partial shot of my house directly in front of it from the road.









The two rows of trees or bushes on the left are blueberries and on the right are grapes. The top of the grape vines are about five and a half feet tall. The birds get all the blueberries on the top of the bushes as they are so tall no one can get them.








This is my mom’s and yes, it is a big yard to mow, especially when you include that where the grapes and blueberries are. There is also a peach and apple tree.









You can’t really see the house beyond my mom’s mailbox but there is one. My great-grandfather built it but it was sold out of our family years ago. About a month ago, at midnight on a Saturday night, a car went straight and ended up going thru the concrete porch and busting a bit of the front of the house. No one was hurt, but it made me sad about the heritage of the porch. To the right is my driveway.







We are home!! My driveway is a little long. On the left of my drive, taken over by the weeds you can see the tops of a row of corn. Welcome, take your shoes off, sit for a while and have a glass of sweet tea.











6 comments:

meb said...

OK..donna...you must tell us when you have a post up... I loved this road trip and thank you for inviting us into your home and serving us tea.

It's great that you have family all around.

Again, I enjoyed the visit.

Laurie said...

I'm so glad I found this. I love the trip to your house. I cannot imagine living out in the country like that but I think I would like it if I tried it.

Jennasmom said...

Get that sweet tea ready! You never know when we may come down your road. Great blog!

Sydney said...

Happy Halloween! Do you get trick or treaters this far out? That would be something I would miss but for one night out of the year, I guess you have so much more to make up for it -- like blueberry bushes and peach trees (jealous! I dream of having those someday. Surprised the birds don't get all of them before you get to.

Next you have to tell us the story of how your family started out with so much land that you all build houses on... and how the road got named after you! I feel like I've come to visit!

Anonymous said...

Yes, I agree with Sydney..tell us the story. I thought I had been here and commented, but see I didn't. I am glad I stopped by though because I enjoyed the drive home. In fact, I have a few photos from Oklahoma that look a lot like these.

After reading this one, I checked out the other post I had missed..Geese.

Nana from the NW said...

Yep! brew up some sweet tea because I would love to make a trip down that long winding road. How great to live on land that was your families heritage. Does your family own all the land from the highway to your house? Please tell us the story.