Friday, November 7, 2008

Autumn at My Home











These are pictures I took today at dusk. I started directly left standing on my front porch and rotated clockwise.




The smokey area between the first tree on the left and the second tree, off in the distance is fog rolling in as it rained today.


That is my mom's house across the road at the end of my driveway. You can see it over the top of my car, but it is just a shadow as the sun is setting behind it. I guess I should have moved that garbage can before I started taking these! Oh well.

That barn you see, my great-grandfather built. The stalls inside are notched logs sitting on a foundation of stacked, flat river rocks. I have pictures of the inside I will post sometime. The top plate (2" x 4" board) is one board, the entire length of the barn. You can see the hatchet marks where my great-grandfather hacked it to the right size. This view is from the side of my house, also what I see out my kitchen window.

This is the rolling hill off the backside of the barn. At the lowest part of this shot is a small creek, fed by a natural spring. This is looking from my back porch. Through the trees, you can see my older brother's house he is building.











Yep, that is a tire swing, my son put up. I am ashamed for you all to see those bricks and that building sitting there. I have been painting my house and have not finished yet. These were moved out to the middle of the yard out of our way. The building is portable right now, I do not want it anywhere in my yard that will block my view.

11 comments:

meb said...

Great storyline with the pictures Donna. Obviously this is like a homestead with your house and your mom's house and your brother building, all on the same property (so to speak). Isn't it wonderful to have family close to you all the time.

Thanks for sharing.

Sydney said...

wooooo! How beautiful it is there. ANd how great to "see" you by seeing where you live, the pool, etc...

I'm loving that you are posting more and that others have gotten on the wagon. It's so much fun to get comments and when you get them from people you don't know it's even more fun!

Thanks for taking these, and posting so many. I am looking forwrard to more!

Sydney said...

Me again -- this is exactly the kind of land we were looking at while in VA... rolling hills, red barn built long ago, a creek on the property. You've got it all (and a pool! lol) Beautiful.

And I was really struck by when you said that your brother is building his house where you can see it from yours, in addition to having your mom's house across the street. I guess I want to say how amazing it is that you are all so close. For some, that might be torture, but if you are the kind of family who likes to be near that is what I only thought was possible in the movies and would be very jealous of/happy for you!

Laurie said...

Oh so pretty. I love to see how others live and what things look like at different times of the year. Thanks for sharing these with us!

PDX Granny said...

What great pictures. You inspired me! I've been taking pictures this afternoon from my back window. It's the same window I saw the rainbow from. I got some great shots of the squirrels, but missed the birds. Somehow, instead of shooting them, I got nothing but trees!

Kinda like when I cut off peoples heads!!

Donna in Alabama said...

Thanks for the nice comments everyone!
My grandmother's house (now my uncle's as she passed last year) is directly in front of mine. My niece and her family have a mobile home on the other side of the barn. My older brother already has a home on the other side of my niece's but is building a new one. My younger brother lives to the left of the first picture I posted too. You just can't see it for my house in the way. My nieces and nephews are always popping in for a few minutes! Yes, I like it that way.

lynn1 said...

Donna, I loved your pictures. It makes me very homesick for Alabama.
I was not born in AL but it seems like home to me. My husband, Al, and I hope to retire to north Alabama some day. We like the Huntsville/Guntersville area where we lived off and on before moving to Louisiana.

Donna in Alabama said...

I am about 40 minutes south of Guntersville. We used to go there camping all the time. I really love the state park there, with the deers coming up to the tents and campers. Also, the eagles at a certain time of year.

Anonymous said...

Donna in Al, thank you for putting your view up for viewing. :) It is beauttiful and peaceful. Which house does your family go to for Thanksgiving? Do you find Christmas trees on your own land? Did you when you were little, because I am thinking you have lived on the same land most of your life. That sounds like a very good way to grow up. Thanks for sharing. I ask about the Christmas trees because we used to hunt our own every year and those are good memories.

~~Silk said...

Hi, Donna. Thanks for visiting. My blog is at http://TheSilkenTouch.blogspot.com/

I make no attempt to be uplifting or amusing, but sometimes I have some pretty good links...

Love your photos. The long beam in the barn is amazing, can't get that these days - how old IS that barn? I'm jealous of your family so close, and your weather.

Donna in Alabama said...

Sizzie, we have Thanksgiving across the road at my mom's house. Growing up, my mom would not let us have a real tree because of the needles left in the carpet. She has OCD, you could perform surgery anytime anywhere in her house.
I did take my sons Christmas tree hunting as we had real trees when they were growing up.

There is a great comfort in my family being next door. It is sad, my dad, his mom and dad and sister have all passed as a lot of history will never be told.

~~silk, I am not sure when the barn was built. I think it was probably in the late teens or early 20's. The weather here in the summer is horrendous and in the winter, you dress for the freezing cold and when you go out to lunch, you have to turn on the AC.